Happy 2019 world! This is Amber Galuppo, GreenLight’s new VP of Communication. I’ll be sharing project updates and fun events throughout the semester, be sure to like us on Facebook stay in the loop. The Leadership Team and I are excited to welcome our new Solutioneers as well as our returning members to another semester of exciting projects! Read on to learn more about what’s in store for 2019.
GreenLight Solutions believes in changing the world, one business at a time through student-led projects. We want to change how local businesses view the environment and how they can better manage their resources; we want not only the environment to stay healthy, but businesses too! GreenLight strives to create a healthy, happy community that is able to have a thriving environment and economy.
Here is an excerpt from our website that gives more insight into who we are:
GreenLight Solutions Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that creates experiential learning opportunities for university students by connecting them with local organizations to collaborate on sustainability projects. We recruit purpose driven students and connect them with businesses, then they work together to design, plan, and execute a sustainability project using our proprietary project process. Our students become Solutioneers by engineering solutions for organizations during their time spent in GreenLight university chapters. Solutioneers graduate with the relevant hands-on experience necessary to catalyze meaningful change throughout their professional careers. Our founding chapter started at Arizona State University’s School of Sustainability in January of 2013, and our alumni-led nonprofit organization was incorporated in July of 2015.
Check out our website for more information about what we do.
Being a member of GreenLight Solutions is very rewarding! You are able to apply your skills to bettering local businesses and the environment. You work in a rich team environment where you can develop your interpersonal and creative problem-solving skills. Seeing the smiles on our Project Partners’ faces when we help make their businesses go green is priceless.
New member applications are now open! Please apply here!
GreenLight Solutions works hard to create stronger bonds with the community. The projects we are working on this semester are listed below:
- GreenLight Solutions is working with the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, a luxury resort and hotel in North Scottsdale. We are going to help them map out a system that allows their employees to carpool to work, which helps alleviate traffic and reduces greenhouse gas emissions. They are testing an app that may be able to help and we can help find the most sustainable route.
- We are also working with the Arizona Green Chamber of Commerce, an organization that advances sustainable and diverse economic development in the valley. We are compiling a list of sustainable companies in the greater Phoenix area that are deemed “green”. There will be a questionnaire on their website that companies can fill out which will determine eligibility for being listed on the database. This will help consumers, business professionals, etc. determine which businesses are sustainable and will them connect to businesses that share the same values.
- We are partnering with Stardust Building Supplies, an organization that provides over 3,000 people a month with affordable, reclaimed building supplies. We are working with them to recycle porcelain and old appliances. Our main goal is to make sure that the porcelain and old appliances are repurposed so that they will not contribute to landfill waste.
Keep an eye out for project updates throughout the semester, and don’t miss our Solutioneer Showcase in April where you can learn about our projects in depth.
We host public events throughout this spring semester. We would love to see you there! See all upcoming events on our Facebook page.
Everybody is invited to join our community mixers from 7-9 p.m on the last Thursday of each month. The GreenLight community gets together to network, celebrate our projects, and eat good food.
When: Thursday, February 28th, 2019
Last Thursday of every month, 7-9 p.m.
Where: Boulders on Broadway
GreenLight Solutions Fundraiser with Fresh Millions
- GreenLight Solutions ASU is hosting a fundraiser at the Fresh Millions Restaurant!
- Please come join our cohort from 11 am-8 pm on Thursday, Feb 21 to help raise funds for future green projects! Carpooling and transportation can be arranged, please contact us for more information!
- Can’t make event on 2/21? No worries! You can still support GreenLight by purchasing an e-giftcard for Fresh Millions – be sure to type ‘GreenLight19’ under the promotion code to count that towards the fundraiser.
- RSVP and share our fundraiser on our Facebook event!
When: February 21st, 2019, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
Our bi-annual showcase is where we display the final results of our projects to the community. Come join us and see all the ways we have been able to make businesses more sustainable! Food and beverages will be served. We look forward to seeing you there!
When: Thursday, April 18th, 2019
Thank you and I hope you can join us for all our events! We’re very excited to start this year off by working with the community and making it more sustainable!
Stay tuned for the next GBlog update!
Connect with GreenLight on:
Written by Amber Galuppo, V.P. of Communication, GreenLight at ASU
Thank you for reading our blog! Leave a comment & share on social media.
➡ Get involved: Businesses | Students | Professionals | Colleges | Volunteer
➡ Support our sustainability initiatives: Donate Now | Give Monthly | Sponsor
➡ Follow us on social media: Facebook | LinkedIn | Instagram | Twitter